[IPAC-List] promotional exam strategy

Winfred Arthur, Jr. w-arthur at neo.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 28 16:20:59 EDT 2011

just echoing Mark and Harry's comments. i currently use a similar
approach in my undergraduate rsch methods, graduate personnel selection,
and graduate advanced personnel selection and placement courses.
however, i provide a concepts and principles list (about 120) but not
item stems.

the obvious advantages are as articulated by Mark and Harry; it defines
the content domain and although i cannot test them on everything, it
gives me some assurance that they would have made an effort to master
all the material on the list.

i have not used this approach in an applied context but as Harry notes,
it is really just a variant of providing a reading list; albeit somewhat
more specific and narrow.

like Harry, i don't see any reason why structurally this approach shld
result in exam psychometric properties that are inherently different
from other approaches to defining the exam content domain. likewise, i
don't think the resulting exam will be any more g-loaded than other
knowledge-based exams.

curious -- you did not explicitly state so but i assume the service is
generally pleased w/ the approach? so, what is the push-back or
concern? and form what source?

thanks.

- winfred