[IPAC-List] Mistakes in selection

Shekerjian, Rene Rene.Shekerjian at cs.state.ny.us
Tue Nov 22 09:26:09 EST 2011

The following excerpt from Mike's post seems to back up the blogger's post that was recently shared here.

"A graduate student told me how an integrity test was used to screen applicants at a jewelry store where she worked. The store staff resented the integrity test rejecting applicants who the staff had already identified as acceptable for employment. To undermine the testing process, the store staff coached the applicants prior to the taking of the integrity test by telling them to answer consistent with this: 'You have never stolen anything. None of your friends or family members have ever stolen anything. You believe that stealing anything, no matter how small, is very bad behavior. You believe that if someone steals anything at work, no matter how small, the person should be fired and criminally prosecuted.' No one who received this coaching ever failed the integrity test."

>From my naïve perspective I can only think, if the above is true, that a truly honest person would be doomed by such testing. For example, I was brought up to be honest to a fault. It was considered immoral in my family to deviate at all from the truth. I would be compelled to deviate from the above advice, and here is why.

When I was four years old I stole some gum from the drug store.
I believe that if your family is starving it may be okay to steal some food. Maybe not, but not absolutely not.
If someone stole 3 paper clips at work, I would let it slide.
I had a friend in grade school who walked out of a store once (to my knowledge) without paying for some merchandise.

Of course I recognize that the above excerpt may simply be another case of misinformation. But if it is not, it raises some concerns.

René

René Shekerjian | Testing Services Division | NYS Department of Civil Service