[IPAC-List] training needs assessment

Dennis Doverspike dennisdoverspike at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 14:03:57 EST 2011

Megan

I find it depends on the type of training, type of job, and level of detail
needed.

One place to start that human resource job analysts often forget about is
ISO 9000 task lists. Those are often quite detailed, more detailed than
most of our job analyses. If you really need detailed information, you can
always use more of a human factors type detailed task-motion analysis, if
that is appropriate to your situation.

Another approach is the classic critical incident methodology. The
collection of critical incidents provides the following 1) what went right
and why 2) what went wrong and why and 3) I find rich stories to add to the
tailoring of your training to the organization or employee group. For
example, in safety training it is one thing to here the generic story about
the employee who died before the wedding because they forgot to lockout and
quite another thing to hear the story about someone working on the same
machine you are or that you knew. I am sure you can find a great deal of
information on uses of critical incident methods.

That is it for now.

Dennis

--
Dennis Doverspike, PhD., ABPP
Licensed Psychologist, #3539 (OHIO)
dennisdoverspike at gmail.com

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product
for the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message
in error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the
communication is strictly prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic
transmission, immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system
and notify the sender. E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to
be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.