[IPAC-List] EEOC "Discussion" Letter

Mitch Stein Mitch.Stein at tn.gov
Tue Dec 6 12:59:38 EST 2011

Spotted this in the employment law news.

http://www.employmentlawmatters.net/2011/12/articles/ada/high-school-diploma-as-prerequisite-to-employment-may-violate-the-ada/

On the one hand, I agree with the legal interpretation in the letter. On the other hand, I wonder if this creates an impossible burden on employers with huge numbers of applicants?

Something not discussed in the letter: if accepting a GED or job related experience in lieu of education avoids the need to do individual assessments of everyone who claims they did not get a diploma because of LD or some other disability. If I were an ambulance-chasing shyster I'd be out recruiting every high school dropout who might arguably have some LD I could get to start flooding organizations with applications for every job that required high school education or higher.

cheers,
Mitch

Mitchell Stein, PhD
Director of Research