[IPAC-List] In-Baskets

Richard Arwood richard.arwood at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 21:53:48 EST 2011

Patrick:

I was the Fire Chief of the Memphis, TN, Fire Department (MFD 2004-08---1,884 employees)and prior to that responsibility, I was the Chief of Training (1992-1997), in charge of coordinating all of our promotional testing. My career responsibilities in fire department testing and development have spanned 30+ years. We began, in 1992, using the testing instruments of Management and Personnel Systems (MPS), especially their General Management In-Basket (GMIB). We were extremely impressed with the quality of their testing instruments and the expansive documented history of the GMIB. Memphis has historically been a "hotbed" for post-testing lawsuits, yet the MPS instruments were broadly accepted by employees, and they were especially receptive to the unique feedback reports afforded to them (to understand their strengths and development needs for the future). With the success that the MFD experienced with the MPS instruments, surrounding fire departments to Memphis also chose to use MPS as their promotional testing vendor. Those relationships continue to this day.

Therefore, Patrick, I would encourage you to evaluate MPS and their testing products. In my opinion, they are among, if not, the best and very well documented. I believe that you will also find MPS products, especially the GMIB, to be well accepted among your candidates; given MPS history, documentation, and the quality of their products.

If you desire further information from me, feel free to contact me.

............Richard Arwood

Richard Arwood, Fire Chief (retired -Memphis, TN)