[IPAC-List] Manager-level interviews involving peers or rank-and-file employees

Paul Pluta ppluta at hr.lacounty.gov
Wed May 2 09:51:44 EDT 2012

I believe this would qualify as a 'fit' type of evaluation, rather than a competency-based assessment. If it is part of an overall selection battery, I would certainly make it the last hurdle. I would also develop some structure for the panels to provide their evaluations, such as ratings on specific indexes of person-organization fit. The extant literature (e.g., Adkins, Russell, & Werbel, 1994; Amiot, Vallerand, & Blanchard, 2006; Chatman, 1991; Hult, 2005; Westerman, & Cyr, 2004) indicates that values congruence is one of the best indicators of person-organization fit. So identifying your organization's shared values and identifying the extent to which the candidate shares those values may be helpful. I believe there are potential pitfalls to leaving these interactions completely unstructured and making it an evaluation of how the people "feel" about the candidate.

Paul E. Pluta, ABD
Human Resources Analyst
Department of Human Resources
Talent Management Division