[IPAC-List] Seeking History of Employee Selection Testing

frank at frankbosco.com frank at frankbosco.com
Tue Sep 11 22:56:19 EDT 2012

Hi Joel,

Hergenhahn's textbook (see link below) does an excellent job of outlining
the history of testing (especially cognitive ability testing). Also, for a
fun 19th century example, see the attached image. The Fowler brothers (known
for their work with phrenology) suggested the following, "It will aid
manufacturers in selecting apprentices best adapted to particular
occupations, merchants in selecting confidential clerks, shipmasters in
selecting crews..."

http://www.cengage.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20bI&product
_isbn_issn=9780534554019

Hope this helps. I've taught courses in the history of psychology and
employee selection, so please feel free to forward any questions.

Cheers,
Frank

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Frank A. Bosco, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of HR Management
Division of Management, Marketing, & MIS
College of Business
Marshall University
Office: GC 338 (S. Charleston)
Voice: 304-746-8961