[IPAC-List] External Applicants

Lance Seberhagen sebe at erols.com
Thu Oct 11 13:45:13 EDT 2012

You already know the obvious reasons. Here is a reason for recruiting
external applicants (or both external and internal applicants) that may
not be so obvious.

1. For political purposes -- to give hope to local residents that the
economy is improving. This is done even when there are no actual job
vacancies to fill.

Early in my career, when I worked for the State of Minnesota many years
ago, I naively asked why we were still recruiting for certain jobs when
we were not hiring anyone for those jobs and already had a 3,000 year
supply of names on our eligible lists for those jobs. The response I
got from top management was that we were intentionally recruiting for
those jobs to give hope to the local community during the economic
down-turn.

Could it be possible that some Ohio jurisdictions are doing that now?

Signature - Seberhagen & Associates

Lance Seberhagen, Ph.D.
Seberhagen & Associates
9021 Trailridge Ct