[IPAC-List] External Applicants

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Mon Oct 15 08:53:42 EDT 2012

Although the list of reasons offered certainly covers the bases with
respect to practical and "message"-related reasons for appealing to
external applicants, I think it is fair to say there can be elements in
the WAY that one seeks external applicants that can undermine - and some
might say "unmask" - some of those reasons. Certainly advertising for a
very brief period can send a message that "We're not really all THAT
interested in external applicants.". Similarly, a list of requirements
that seems particularly specific can send the message that "We already
have someone picked out, and this ad is just to follow protocol".

There are cogent reasons for going beyond the organization, and cogent
reasons for staying within the perimeter of the organization when
seeking applicants. I can't think of many good reasons for sending
mixed or contradictory messages, though. Whatever strategy one is going
to deploy, make sure that it is sincere.

Mark Hammer
Ottawa

This e-mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or
re-transmission is prohibited. If you are not a named recipient or not
authorized by the named recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, then please notify the sender immediately and delete
the message and any copies.

Ce courriel est destiné exclusivement au destinataire mentionné en titre
et peut contenir de l'information privilégiée, confidentielle ou
soustraite à la communication aux termes des lois applicables. Toute
divulgation non autorisée, toute reproduction ou réacheminement est
interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce courriel, ou n'êtes
pas autorisé par le destinataire visé, ou encore, si vous l'avez reçu
par erreur, veuillez le mentionner immédiatement à l'expéditeur et
supprimer le courriel et les copies.