[IPAC-List] Measurement education

Dennis Doverspike dennisdoverspike at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 09:19:10 EDT 2012

Steven,

I realize this will be of absolutely no help, but I find that even many
expert measurement and selection people way overestimate the efficiency of
assessment. That is not to say that tests do not have utility, they clearly
do, or that a good test is not better than a bad test, it clearly is, but
the real value of tests comes in making lots of decisions about lots of
people and at the organizational level (I have an article I wrote up for
IPAC a number of years ago on this topic, although it helps to make my
point and not yours).

In the artificial, but instructive case of a dichotomous predictor and a
dichotomous criterion, the efficiency of tests is given by the
Taylor-Russell tables. I believe it is very useful to review those tables,
because they reveal that in many real world cases the use of assessments
will result in many correct decisions, but still many wrong decisions. For
example, with a correlation coefficient of .50, and a base rate and
selection ratio of.50, the percentage of successful people is only 67%;
that is good, but probably much lower than most people would estimate.
With a more typical correlation of .25, the percentage of successful
people would be .58, which would mean there are still a lot of unsuccessful
people.

My point, although tests are better than the alternative, they are not
perfect and do result in a great many more incorrect decisions than we
would probably expect, especially from the perspective of the individual
test taker.

Two additional caveats from many years of experience with promotional
testing. Many times the "best" people do not want the promotion. Thus,
especially if you are talking about failing the test, they fail because
they do not study, do not prepare, or are not prepared. They fail because
they are not motivated to obtain a good score or the promotion. Other
times, the best people may simply be too busy, with life or with their job,
to prepare for the exam. Not sure that argument will help you either, but
I believe it is a reality of promotional testing.

Dennis

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Partain, Steven C. <Steven.Partain at tvfr.com

--
Dennis Doverspike, PhD., ABPP
Licensed Psychologist, #3539 (OHIO)
dennisdoverspike at gmail.com

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product
for the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message
in error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the
communication is strictly prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic
transmission, immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system
and notify the sender. E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to
be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.