[IPAC-List] Calculators

Lance Seberhagen sebe at erols.com
Wed Jan 16 16:06:47 EST 2013

If you are talking about calculators used during exams, there should be
a separate policy for each exam, rather than one policy covering all
exams. In any event, if calculators are allowed, the test administrator
should provide them. Test-takers should not be allowed to use their
"smart phones," or any other personal electronic devices, because they
may be used to photograph test materials, communicate with other
individuals, or otherwise cheat or compromise test security.

The job analysis underlying each exam will tell whether calculators or
computers are used for making calculations on the job. But even then,
one can make a good argument for requiring test-takers to make manual
calculations for most, if not all, exams. Calculators/computers may not
always be available on the job (e.g., power goes out). Full
understanding of the math ability in question often requires the ability
to make manual calculations.

Signature - Seberhagen & Associates

Lance Seberhagen, Ph.D.
Seberhagen & Associates