[IPAC-List] Calculators

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Wed Jan 16 15:20:07 EST 2013

You know, given the fact that, these days, one can walk into just about
any "dollar store" and buy the ideal device for under $2, it may simply
be easier to buy a bunch, and say "Calculators will be provided", than
argue with folks about what they can and can't use, or whether they had
adequate opportunity to obtain an appropriate unit.
Granted, there will always be SOMEBODY who whines about the
unfamiliarity of the keyboard layout, or size of the keys or whatnot
(IIRC we had one guy here some years back who tried to argue that he was
being discriminated against because he couldn't use a DVORAK keyboard
for a computer-based writing exercise, instead of the QWERTY type
supplied - where is the eye-rolling GIF when you need it?). I suppose
a photo of the device to be supplied can be provided on-line
beforehand.

I just figure if throwing $200 at a problem makes it go away easily,
that's pretty convenient.

Mark Hammer
Ottawa

>>> Paul Pluta <ppluta at hr.lacounty.gov> 2013/01/16 3:12 PM >>>

Here is the language we use on the cover of our test booklets.

YOU MAY USE ONLY A HAND-HELD, BATTERY OPERATED, STANDARD ARITHMETIC
NON-TAPE-PRODUCING CALCULATOR DURING THIS EXAMINATION. USE OF
MEMORY-STORAGE CALCULATORS, SCIENTIFIC/STATISTICAL CALCULATORS, CELL
PHONES, AND PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANTS (PDAs) IS PROHIBITED.

We provide our examinees with a cheap basic calculator and scratch
paper and a pencil. No other materials are allowed on the table/desk
during the examination.