[IPAC-List] Using a combination of interview media

RPClare at aol.com RPClare at aol.com
Wed Mar 13 13:16:32 EDT 2013

I am responding intuitively. I believe that interviewers in face-to-face
collect more non-verbal info that would come into their decision-making
process, technology-assisted (Skype?) interviews also provide some of the
non-verbal but not as great since the visual field is limited tor
face/face-shoulders. Phone interviews offer the least non-verbal cues. If you have a
multiple interview process, I would use phone interviews for all candidates to
keep the process as level as possible. Once the field is narrowed, I would
use technology-assisted but offer candidates the option to appear for a
face-to-face (on their own dime). We don't reimburse local candidates for
mileage and parking. I would then try to "sensitize" the interviewer(s)
regarding the possible differential impact non-verbal communications may have. As
an interviewer, I would want to see and interact with candidates.but we have
to recognize the ROI involved. Historically, we would have either brought
them in or merely done phone interviews without another thought. Technology
offers another option and helps us realize the differences. Unfortunately,
most public sector jurisdictions would reject distant candidates if their
only option was to spend the money. Also, most managers would not want to
forgo face-to-face to level the field for distant candidates and would
probably limit themselves to local candidates if they couldn't have face-to-face
with local candidates.

In a message dated 3/13/2013 12:50:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,