[IPAC-List] Using a combination of interview media

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Wed Mar 13 16:33:19 EDT 2013

Not mentioned by anyone yet is the degree of experience the interviewers
have with in-person vs phone vs Skype-like formats. None of these are
completely unknown, but in-person interviews would likely be the most
common. We compare the kinds of information available or unavailable to
interviewers via the one medium vs the other, and while that is
certainly cogent, it bears noting that not all interviewers have
equivalent experience in all interview formats, which introduces noise
and potential inequivalence of interviews.

As well, in the case of large-scale recruitment exercises, it can also
happen that interviewers may *acquire* experience in an unfamiliar
interview format over the course of multiple interviews, such that there
may be an inequivalence introduced between earlier and later candidates
in the sequence.

>From that perspective - and that is but one among many factors to

consider - whatever presents as the most feasible for the most
candidates AND the most familiar to the interviewers, seems like a
better choice.

I think it is also fair to note that interview formats more familiar to
interviewERS are also likely to be more familiar to interviewEES. One
should be attentive not only to what information the interviewers can
reliably glean, but what information interviewees can reliably
present...because the format is more familiar to them. If I'm sitting
in front of a webcam, I have no idea what you can and can't see. On a
phone, I know you only hear my voice and what I say.

Mark Hammer
Otatwa

This e-mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or
re-transmission is prohibited. If you are not a named recipient or not
authorized by the named recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, then please notify the sender immediately and delete
the message and any copies.

Ce courriel est destiné exclusivement au destinataire mentionné en titre
et peut contenir de l'information privilégiée, confidentielle ou
soustraite à la communication aux termes des lois applicables. Toute
divulgation non autorisée, toute reproduction ou réacheminement est
interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce courriel, ou n'êtes
pas autorisé par le destinataire visé, ou encore, si vous l'avez reçu
par erreur, veuillez le mentionner immédiatement à l'expéditeur et
supprimer le courriel et les copies.