[IPAC-List] Time for Situational Interview Questions

keith.poole at phoenix.gov keith.poole at phoenix.gov
Wed Mar 13 17:09:00 EDT 2013

Maybe we are stingy but our typical panel interview format is 7 - 8
questions, plus closing, in 30 minutes. That includes manager positions
(if anything, the managers go shorter). We may go longer if it's a final
interview or for public safety promotionals, but even then it's probably
no more than 45. Maybe it's just the reality of our political environment
and management team...they want it succinct and convincing, with 1 or 2
good examples, without any fluff. After years of facilitating
deliberations, it's rarely the case that the candidates that do best even
take the full 30, or rush to finish in 30. Note that we don't score or
rank applicants, or even ask for a specific # to move forward. At the end
of the day, we ask the panel to discuss each candidate and reach consensus
on who should move forward in the process, and document the reasons why.
There is usually a natural break at around 2-4 candidates out of 8-10
interviewed. We don't have to nit pick about "that was a 5 point
response", "no, that was a 6."

Keith Poole
Human Resources Supervisor
City of Phoenix HR Department
135 N 2nd Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85003
Phone: (602) 262-7140
Fax: (602) 495-5498
Email: keith.poole at phoenix.gov

Dennis Doverspike <dennisdoverspike at gmail.com>
Sent by: ipac-list-bounces at ipacweb.org
03/13/2013 12:41 PM

IPAC-List <IPAC-List at ipacweb.org>
cc

Subject
[IPAC-List] Time for Situational Interview Questions

Following up on the recent discussion, does anyone have any benchmarks or
recommendations as to how many good situational or behavioral interview
questions can be asked per hour (and answered of course) or put another
way - how many minutes per question?

Does it vary by the complexity of job? So is the time longer for
managerial jobs? I would tend to guess so but not sure.

--
Dennis Doverspike, PhD., ABPP
Licensed Psychologist, #3539 (OHIO)
dennisdoverspike at gmail.com

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product
for the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive
this message in error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the
sender. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited. In the case of E-mail or
electronic transmission, immediately delete it and all copies of it from
your system and notify the sender. E-mail and fax transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
IPAC-List at ipacweb.org