[IPAC-List] KSA Validity Studies?

Michael McDaniel (WSF) McDaniel at WorkSkillsFirst.com
Tue Jun 18 18:31:58 EDT 2013

John,

If KSA narratives are stories related to accomplishments in a KSA domain
(e.g., project management. leadership), they have previously been called
"behavioral consistency method T&E" and "accomplishment records."

See this paper for validity data:
http://www.people.vcu.edu/~mamcdani/Publications/McDaniel,%20Schmidt,%20Hunter%20%281988%29%29%20T&E.pdf

The data are described as Behavioral Consistency. The data are listed in
Appendix A. The uncorrected mean validity is listed as .248. I suspect
that overestimates the validity of the method. I say this because most of
the studies were conducted by a consulting firm known for high quality
work. They likely had ample funding for instrument development, rater
training, and checks on reliability of ratings. I doubt that most
applications of the method are as well funded and well conducted. I have
used this approach a few times and often had difficulty getting rater
agreement on some of the essay topics.

That study was from 1998. If you find more data, I can update the analysis.

Best wishes,

Mike

--
*Ten Free Employment Tests Per Month*