[IPAC-List] Length of Eligible Lists

keith.poole at phoenix.gov keith.poole at phoenix.gov
Thu Sep 5 17:11:46 EDT 2013

Our default length of eligible list right now is 12 months for non-public
safety promotional, and 24 months for public safety promo. Our rules only
specify that we can extend lists up to 36 months, but it doesn't specify a
minimum. Back when economy was much better and lists were much smaller,
we were doing 4 month lists for certain titles (like entry level
clerical), they were going stale that quickly. I think generally the 12
months is meeting staff needs, but if a department has proven they've gone
through the list and aren't able to get a suitable interview pool (or did
a round of interviews and didn't select anyone, we've opened a new
recruitment prior to the expiration of the old list. We've also done a
lot more "working title" recruitments that are tailored to a particular
vacancy, to help address dept needs.

Keith Poole
Human Resources Supervisor
City of Phoenix HR Department