[IPAC-List] Minimum vs Preferred Qualifications

Partain, Steven C. Steven.Partain at tvfr.com
Thu Jan 2 18:31:51 EST 2014

Great discussion. I’ve grown increasingly disillusioned over the years with the utility of education and years of experience markers as qualifiers. Too many false positives and false negatives in my experience. Educational degrees in particular seems merely to be shortcuts—and really poor ones—for a set of unidentified competencies, and driven by administrative expediency (you’ve got to narrow the candidate field somehow), or the desire to have one’s field appear more professional. I’ve challenged hiring managers to identify what competencies they think a bachelor’s degree implies. Then we start discussing things like critical thinking skills, organization/planning, managing diverse perspectives, writing skills, etc. Next, I’ll suggest that those competencies be the minimum qualifications we focus on, and consider evaluation tools that target those. More complicated, but certainly more valid, I should think.

I also suspect online degree programs and traditional 4-year on-campus degree programs produce different sets of competencies.

Steven Partain | HR Manager
Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue
Direct: 503-259-1292
www.tvfr.com<http://www.tvfr.com/>