[IPAC-List] Minimum vs Preferred Qualifications

Lance Seberhagen sebe at erols.com
Thu Jan 2 18:41:02 EST 2014

Bryan, I share your frustration, but let's not be so quick to throw out
all MQs. Yes, MQs are often misused. But, as with any other employee
selection procedure, when MQs are developed, administered, and used
properly, they can improve the efficiency and effectiveness (validity)
of the employee selection process. As noted by Ron, MQs are best used
to screen out applicants who are obviously unfit or ineligible for the
job in question. For example, MQs are especially useful for providing a
realistic job preview (e.g., Are you willing to work rotating shifts?
Are you willing to work on weekends?), when jobs have unusual demands.
MQs can also be used to assess KSAsup to a point. The key is to do it
right. The same goes for "actual tests."

Lance Seberhagen, Ph.D.

Seberhagen & Associates

9021 Trailridge Court

Vienna, VA 22182