[IPAC-List] Engineer Selection

Marianne marcodesp at aol.com
Tue Mar 11 18:46:15 EDT 2014

We do not suggest using M/C tests for engineers that are already state certified. Ask for verification of certificates and degrees. Too much testing chases engineers away. They also get discouraged by essay T & Es. We suggest checklist T & Es that will determine their specialty and minimum qualifications. We also use a technical interview that many times includes a project they complete prior to the interview. The project can be a writing exercise, if writing ability is a factor. You can also include a troubleshooting type of exercise. We have them present their project to the interview panel. This saves time because the panel can be used for the interview and the performance portion as long as you have technical SMEs on the panel. You may also want to include job-fit soft-skill questions.

Marianne Tonjes
Executive Director
CODESP

Marianne Tonjes