[IPAC-List] question for participants about PATs

RICHARD TONOWSKI RICHARD.TONOWSKI at EEOC.GOV
Thu Mar 20 16:47:10 EDT 2014

Gene,

Far be it from me to offer legal opinions. But, assuming that Dennis's insight applies to your two situations, compliance with state law is not likely to deter an EEOC investigation, nor would it deter the U.S. Department of Justice from filing suit against the state agencies if DOJ thought there were grounds to take action.
In the alternative, they may be looking to run what they consider to be a medical exam, which is why they seem interested only with ADA compliance and not with any specific jobs. If they're expecting to have the test administered by someone in a health or allied profession, that would suggest a medical exam.

You've piqued my curiosity.

Rich

>>> Dennis Doverspike <dennisdoverspike at gmail.com> 3/20/2014 4:19 PM >>>

Gene,

I am just guessing because digging deeper would take more work than I am willing to do without compensation.

But the clue to the issue to me is your mention of the State Department of Transportation. That makes me wonder whether there are specific State Laws or certification standards with regard to transportation professionals, those are set out by statute, and so the RPF is just being issued in conformance with those laws.

I do find a trend of agencies and jurisdictions being more worried about dealing with state laws, statutes or certifications standards than with Federal Laws, when it comes to physical testing. Having said that, we are now starting to get into an area of legal issues beyond my ability to offer opinions.

Best regards

Dennis