[IPAC-List] Testing Accommodations vs. On the Job Accommodations

RICHARD TONOWSKI RICHARD.TONOWSKI at EEOC.GOV
Tue Aug 19 11:18:59 EDT 2014

Kevin,

In my opinion, the test is the test and the job is the job.  The
applicant's issue is an accommodation on the test.  That's the issue to
deal with.  The next issue, if there is one, is a request for job
accommodation.

I suspect that life isn't always that simple.  But the problem (in the
worst possible light) is that if it looks like you've made a decision
that "those people" can't be accommodated on the job and so you'll
"spare them the trouble" of taking the test, you're asking for a
complaint.

Rich

>>> "Reindl, Kevin" <K1RQ at pge.com> 08/19/14 10:42 AM >>>
        I wanted to see if anyone is willing to share approach/opinion
about the timing and sequence of considering job and testing
accommodations under the ADA. My question is whether testing
accommodations should be treated separately and prior  to any discussion
of accommodations on the job. I’ll try to provide a simple example to
illustrate my question:

 Suppose a job applicant who has limited use of one hand applies for a
job that periodically requires using a jackhammer. Suppose also that one
of the tests required for the job measures back strength, however, the
apparatus used to measure  back strength requires the test taker to grip
and pull back on a bar attached to a chain, and the only way the test
can be performed is with the use of 2 hands gripping the bar (i.e.,
gripping of a bar with both hands is really just an artifact of the
testing  apparatus, and not an ability that the test is designed to
measure).

 My question is this: Can/should we consider whether the person can
perform the job with or without a reasonable accommodation as a reason
not to accommodate him on the test? OR…is it better to make the testing
accommodation without regard to the job in question and save the
determination of whether he can perform the job until after testing?

 Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

 Kevin Reindl
 Pacific Gas & Electric
 Human Resources
 Performance, Selection & Inclusion
 245 Market Street, N2J
 San Francisco, CA 94105
 Office: 415-973-7013
 Mobile: 619-322-3368
 k1rq at pge.com

 PG&E is committed to protecting our customers' privacy.
 To learn more, please visit
http://www.pge.com/about/company/privacy/customer/