[IPAC-List] Testing Accommodations vs. On the Job Accommodations

Reindl, Kevin K1RQ at pge.com
Tue Aug 19 10:42:31 EDT 2014

I wanted to see if anyone is willing to share approach/opinion about the timing and sequence of considering job and testing accommodations under the ADA. My question is whether testing accommodations should be treated separately and prior to any discussion of accommodations on the job. I'll try to provide a simple example to illustrate my question:

Suppose a job applicant who has limited use of one hand applies for a job that periodically requires using a jackhammer. Suppose also that one of the tests required for the job measures back strength, however, the apparatus used to measure back strength requires the test taker to grip and pull back on a bar attached to a chain, and the only way the test can be performed is with the use of 2 hands gripping the bar (i.e., gripping of a bar with both hands is really just an artifact of the testing apparatus, and not an ability that the test is designed to measure).

My question is this: Can/should we consider whether the person can perform the job with or without a reasonable accommodation as a reason not to accommodate him on the test? OR...is it better to make the testing accommodation without regard to the job in question and save the determination of whether he can perform the job until after testing?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Kevin Reindl
Pacific Gas & Electric
Human Resources
Performance, Selection & Inclusion
245 Market Street, N2J
San Francisco, CA 94105
Office: 415-973-7013
Mobile: 619-322-3368
k1rq at pge.com<mailto:k1rq at pge.com>

PG&E is committed to protecting our customers' privacy.
To learn more, please visit http://www.pge.com/about/company/privacy/customer/