[IPAC-List] applicants misrepresenting their experience

keith.poole at phoenix.gov keith.poole at phoenix.gov
Fri Sep 12 11:45:51 EDT 2014

Some of the things we have done:

1) Avoid overly general questions.  Instead of "How many years of budget
exp do you possess, " change to something like "Indicate the budget
responsibilities below for which you have at least 1 year of experience;
mark all that apply".  Then be sure to list one or two items that almost
everyone has done even if you don't particularly care about them for
screening (Monitor overtime; monitor the supplies budget; compile program
statistics...whatever applies in your world), in addition to the "real"
items you do care about.  We've found that the former phrasing has too
many interpretations.  The Secretary that monitors the tiny supplies
budget for 5 years will mark "5 yrs budget exp" and in their mind, they
are.  With the latter phrasing, if you provide at least some answers they
can respond affirmatively to, even if it's not weighted that much in your
screening, it may help with applicants from feeling like they have to
inflate their exp....("I can't just say 'No experience'").

2) Use of "attention to detail" questions (aka "bogus questions").  "How
many years of exp do you possess using Piper Legal Services Software", or
"Repairing Eagle engines" or "operating a McKinney 2000" (nod to Mr. Terry
McKinney for that one).  None of these exist.  If the applicant says they
have experience, we have the option to screen them out, assuming the job
requires attention to detail...we avoid saying anything like "you lied" or
"you exaggerated".

3) Using short open-ended answers, in addition to radio-button screening
questions.  "In 50 words or less, describe how you have used an Access
database".  You'll get answers from "enter new registrants and print
weekly reports" to "created a database and built queries and reports to
track employee certificationd and training requirements."

4) Use screening questions where the applicant has to complete a work
sample, like put 4 names in alphabetical order, add up several numbers or
cash transactions, identify the sentence that has improper grammar.  This
may be approaching an unproctored test, but the # of questions is probably
not a large enough sample to really call it a test...we still call it a
skills screening questionnaire.  Yes, applicants can get help or look up
answers, but in the times we've used it, we usually find a decent
distribution of 'scores.'   We added approx 15 questions along this line
to an advanced clerical position recently...I think maybe 60% got all
correct, but there were some that only got 6-7 correct.  It's one of those
things, people who don't know, don't know that they don't know.

Keith Poole
Human Resources Supervisor
City of Phoenix HR Department
135 N 2nd Ave