[IPAC-List] applicants misrepresenting their experience

Natasha K. Riley Natasha.Riley at omes.ok.gov
Fri Sep 12 14:23:39 EDT 2014

Jim,
I agree with you, but that battle has been fought and lost here.

Thomas,
Thank you for describing your process; that is very helpful.  As far as making a call on whether an applicant is intentionally being untruthful, I think in our system it is more obvious than in yours.  Our questions have multiple-choice or multiple-select responses.  The candidate is not asked to describe the experience; we leave that for the interview process.  If an applicant says he has no experience with a certain task on one application and then on the next application (submitted within days of the first) he says he has performed that same specific task as a regular part of his job, it is pretty clear that something is amiss.

All others who replied,
Thanks for the thoughts.  I'm sure some of our questions could be improved, but if anyone has a process or policy on how to deal with the inconsistent applicant, please send those my way.  Thanks again!

Natasha Riley
Director of Assessment and Testing Services
State of Oklahoma
Human Capital Management
Office of Management and Enterprise Services
405-521-6361
natasha.riley at omes.ok.gov<mailto:natasha.riley at osf.ok.gov>
www.omes.ok.gov<www.opm.ok.gov>