[IPAC-List] Test Anxiety and the ADA

Dennis Doverspike dennisdoverspike at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 13:50:26 EDT 2014

Since I am not up to data on the DSM and my clinical days are long past, I
checked with a school psychologist and a counseling psychologist. As per
previous suggestions, they indicated that text anxiety was not a disorder
but could be considered either under a generalized anxiety disorder or a
Social Phobia, if they met the diagnosis.

However, in terms of suggestions about mitigating through therapy already
offered by others, it is interesting that they independently offered that
the person could probably just take a pill.

In the end, it seems like this type of decision should be made by an ADA
office or panel. I usually recommend not having hr or the assessment people
make this decision, but a separate office or personnel.

Dennis Doverspike

--
Dennis Doverspike, PhD., ABPP
Licensed Psychologist, #3539 (OHIO)
dennisdoverspike at gmail.com

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product
for the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message
in error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the
communication is strictly prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic
transmission, immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system
and notify the sender. E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to
be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.