[IPAC-List] Distance Learning/Facetiming Assessors

Richard R. Carter rrcarter at nola.gov
Thu Oct 30 18:28:00 EDT 2014

I have a few of questions for the collective wisdom of this group.

We in New Orleans, like many jurisdictions, currently fly in volunteer police and fire professionals to score assessment center exercises.  This testing plays a large role in determining promotions in NOPD and NOFD.  We work folks hard for a week and pick up the tab for the hotel, airfare and incidentals.

The Chief of our Fire Department would like for us to explore using technology to control costs.  Specifically, his suggestion to avoid the hotel and airfare expenses by having assessors interact only through technology (go to meeting, skype, facetime, something along those lines).

First, is anyone else currently doing anything like this?  If so, what issues or concerns were faced? Even if you don't currently do this, feel free to opine with potential issues that those considering this choice may face.

Also, what sort of cooperation should be expected from other jurisdictions should we go down this path?
That is, would folks volunteer to stay where they are and work for us for a week?

TIA
Rick Carter
Personnel Administrator - Test Development & Validation
New Orleans Civil Service