[IPAC-List] Distance Learning/Facetiming Assessors

Reed, Elizabeth EReed1 at Columbus.gov
Fri Oct 31 12:14:36 EDT 2014

Interesting topic. I've been involved with police and fire promotional processes for 20 years and we bring in assessors from all over the nation for these exams. While it is costly, the costs pale in comparison to the benefits of selecting the most competent future leaders in safety sensitive positions. I believe that we have great police and fire divisions because we are selecting the right leaders-outside assessors play an integral part in this selection process.

It's technically feasible to accomplish virtual assessments. However, we can't underestimate the reality of not pulling raters together in person.

Let's diagram what this might look like with a few basic assumptions: Assume you need 6 assessors for a week to grade video recorded oral responses. Assume the assessors have volunteered a week of their time, while still being paid by their own organization.  Assessor training needs to occur prior to the assessment. Here are the concerns that may not be easily remedied:

*         People are distracted during virtual training; it's difficult to keep them focused on the topic and involved in discussion.

*         Test security is at greater risk. Who else can access the test materials while in the hands of assessors in the various jurisdictions? Printed materials, people walking into the room during training, etc., and assuring materials are not copied or recorded are all risk factors.

*         During grading, will you have "boards" continue to discuss their ratings? If not, how will you ensure consistency and accuracy in the ratings? If yes, are you prepared to handle the additional logistical demands of monitoring of the process?

*         Assessor engagement during grading. The fact is they are being paid by their own jurisdiction, if something comes up and they are in the next room they are much more likely to be called away to work on the issue.

*         Will you continue to get the assessors you need? What's in it for them? When they come to the city they network, they ask other professionals how they handle situations they are currently struggling with. They have the opportunity to see a different city and how their operations work. There is a definite gain for agencies who send personnel to assess in other jurisdictions.

As a previous responder eluded to, if you have assessors who are being paid by a testing agency to conduct and grade the assessment, then you can overcome most of the issues that I listed above. If that's the route you go, I'd recommend asking pointed questions regarding rater training, consensus building, how test security is handled, re-use of test exercises, are the exercises interactive, rotation of assessors, and costs.  About rotation of assessors, our unions prefer not using the same set of assessors each time we assess to avoid the perception of assessors identifying people they like a continuing to "promote" them through the ranks.

Food for thought. Good luck!

Liz

Elizabeth A. Reed
Public Safety Assessment Team Manager