[IPAC-List] Distance Learning/Facetiming Assessors

Reindl, Kevin K1RQ at pge.com
Thu Oct 30 19:13:42 EDT 2014

Hi Rick!

I like the use of technology in assessments...in fact, without technology, assessment would quickly become extinct in today's world. However, as one of your former coworkers (as well as one of your volunteer assessors later on), the value I gained (besides a chance to travel to New Orleans), was the opportunity to network with others in the public sector doing similar work in other jurisdictions. You should not underestimate the value that your assessors get out of making connections on a personal and professional level with one another. In all honesty, it may be very difficult to get that level of participation from other jurisdictions if you take away those less tangible benefits. I attend a couple of small consortium meetings in person every year, and from time to time, we talk about doing it virtually to minimize the travel costs. However, we continue to meet in person year after year for these same reasons.

First thing I would do is send out a quick survey to your past participants to gauge their attitudes/opinions...i.e., ask them directly whether they would volunteer if it meant no travel and no in-person networking. If costs MUST be cut, you may need to make the change, but you may also end up with other costs down the road if you cannot get assessors (e.g., outsourcing to paid professional assessors)

Good luck my friend!

Kevin Reindl
Pacific Gas & Electric
Human Resources
HR Strategy & Organizational Effectiveness
245 Market Street, N2J
San Francisco, CA 94105
Office: 415-973-7013
Mobile: 619-322-3368