[IPAC-List] Disability related inquiries as part of Testing Accommodation process

Reindl, Kevin K1RQ at pge.com
Fri Sep 11 15:11:07 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I was hoping you'd be willing to share your thoughts on or current practice with regard to disability-related inquiries when it comes to providing accommodations in testing.  Here are the questions I have:

If someone requests an accommodation in the testing process, do you have standard questions you ask (e.g., a form that needs to be completed)?

Do you ask for specific information on the disability (e.g., specifics about the disability/diagnosis, etc.)?

*         If yes - who provides the information and who in your organization sees/reviews that information?

*         If no - how do you verify that someone has a covered disability?

Not asking for legal advice, but if you are willing to share your thoughts regarding the legalities of whether we are able to ask for specific documentation on a person's disability to verify the disability or to help with determining appropriate accommodations, I'd appreciate the info.

Lastly if anyone would be willing to share any process flows, accommodation request forms, or procedures related to accommodations in testing I'd love to see what others use/have.

Thanks in advance...

Kevin Reindl
Pacific Gas & Electric
Human Resources