[IPAC-List] Rescaling exam scores

Partain, Steven C. Steven.Partain at tvfr.com
Mon Oct 5 17:07:38 EDT 2015

Our agency has recognized the variation of impact of veterans' preference (for our state: 5 points for veterans and 10 points for disabled veterans) on civil service exams depending on the distribution of scores.  I'm toying with the idea of rescaling all exam scores to standardize distributions and thus standardize the impact of preference.  My statistical background, unfortunately, is a few decades stale.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of rescaling?  I'll eventually figure it out with my google research, but thought maybe one of you does this routinely and has a suggested method/formula.

I'm also interested in any feedback on the concept as it relates to preference.

Thanks,

Steven Partain | HR Manager
Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue
Direct: 503-259-1292