[IPAC-List] Vendors for written exams - entry police and fire

Richard Joines mpscorp at value.net
Tue Jan 5 18:43:20 EST 2016

Hi Oscar,

Can you give a little more info for those of us who are just curious?  A prior post from Steve Partain mentioned that the test measured four components: 1) human relations, 2) mechanical reasoning, 3) reading comprehension, and 4) math comprehension.

Your post indicates that your FireTeam test is a simulation exam.  I'm curious to know a little more about the simulation technique that provides for measurement of the four components that Steve gave, especially components 2, 3 and 4.  Also, can you share how you estimated reliability for each of the four components?  Are you using raters to assign scores while observing candidate behavior and then calculating inter-rater reliability, or using some other method?  I'm just having a hard time understanding how you can get simulation test scores for fire fighter candidates on such a diverse batch of abilities.

Thanks,
Richard Joines
Management & Personnel Systems, Inc.
www.mps-corp.com