[IPAC-List] Value of cognitive ability testing for Journey-Level skilled trade jobs

Ann M. Nakamura AMNAKAMU at UP.COM
Wed Mar 16 17:29:50 EDT 2016

Hi, Kevin.

We have a test battery that we give to our craft positions. Within a
specific craft all candidates take the same battery; however, cut scores
are dependent on the position level the candidate has applied for. For
example, a candidate who has taking the test for a mechanic position needs
to achieve higher scores on the test than a candidate who is testing for
the apprentice mechanic position.

Our internal customers strongly feel that our battery test does a good job
assessing candidates' KSAAs. They also like the fact that the test is
administered to candidates who have craft knowledge and may have already
completed some type of apprenticeship. I get the impression from our
departments that there is not always a strong degree of confidence in the
certificates and licenses that the candidates obtained prior to their
employment at UP. I'm not close to that side of the house, but I speculate
that the lack of confidence could be due to different requirements for
journeyman licenses, time between when the license was obtained and when we
hired the candidate, etc. Administering the test to more experienced craft
workers gives the hiring managers in our departments the assurance that the
candidate does possess the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully
perform the job duties.

Hopefully my ramblings are helpful. My only thought would be to examine
your test cut score and see you should require candidates with more
experience to obtain a higher score than entry-level candidates. By going
this route you would get to keep the test that you've validated and have
shown is a predictor of success, and you are showing your organization that
you are requiring a higher level of performance on the test from your more
experienced candidates.

Best regards,

Ann

Ann Nakamura-Konecky, Manager - Selection & Assessment
Union Pacific Center | 1400 Douglas Street, STOP 0340 | Omaha, NE 68179 USA
(: 402.544.3356 | *: amnakamu at up.com

I build the foundation. What will you build?
Visit UP.jobs for career opportunities.

Build with us: