[IPAC-List] Military Accommodation/USERRA

Keith Poole keith.poole at phoenix.gov
Wed Jun 1 13:58:54 EDT 2016

We re-created a fairly involved assessment for Police Sergeant for one applicant who was deployed at the time of the original test.  In our case the original group (around 50 members) did the assessment in March 2012 and the military member tested in November 2012 when his deployment ended.  It involved reassembling several individual assessments that were all done in one day including an in-basket, squad briefing, community meeting Q&A, tactical exercise, and oral board.  The squad briefing, community meeting and tactical all involved several 'live actors' so this was not a small thing and couldn't be replicated with a video feed.  We had the original applicants sign a confidentiality agreement saying they weren't to discuss the process until the military member took the assessment in November.  We also had to issue a new eligible list ranking with the added member.  This was pretty involved but we really couldn't think of a better option...we also had department and legal staff that took a pretty conservative view of USERRA requirements.

Keith Poole
HR Supervisor
City of Phoenix HR Dept
602-262-7140