[IPAC-List] Michael McDaniel's Reference to the so-called Validity-Diversity Dilemma

Richard Joines mpscorp at value.net
Sat Jun 11 01:14:11 EDT 2016

Hi Joel,

What's the latest on differential validity research?  I just can't force
myself to plow through another of these articles.

Researchers have gleefully debated test fairness for about 50 years now, and
every time it seems there is a consensus that tests are fair for all groups,
with the caveat that they may tend to be somewhat unfair to whites
(intercept differences often indicate that minority performance has been
overpredicted), we know it's just a matter of time until the debate resumes.

Nothing unusual for our field.  Take assessment centers -- we still have
psychologists who are dedicated to the idea that dimension ratings in
assessment centers are construct valid, no matter what the evidence
indicates.  It just makes sense to them, thus that's what will ultimately be
found if they do just one more research study.

If we restricted test fairness research to those studies that were able to
use objective outcomes consistent with Brogden & Taylor (The Dollar
Criterion, 1950), I believe the results for differential prediction would be
essentially the same, but we can nevertheless run some Monte Carlo
simulations, and hopefully, we can eventually reach the conclusion many want
to reach.  The I/O field can be exhausting...

Joel, if all criterion measures are biased, we're in a real pickle and
should switch to a field that has issues that can be resolved, like
astronomy or physics.  You agree?