[IPAC-List] Outsourcing All Promotional Testing

DEONDA SCOTT deonda.scott at cityoforlando.net
Fri Jun 3 11:46:15 EDT 2016

Good morning,

Have any of you tried to determine the costs/benefits/trade-offs of
outsourcing *all* your promotional testing processes long-term? We
currently have an extensive set of Police (Captain, Lt, Sgt) and Fire
(Assistant Chief, District Chief, Lt., Engineer) promotional exams. Most of
those include successive hurdles (e.g., multiple choice, then emergency
incident command simulation, then assessment center) and a relatively
complex set of bargaining agreement and/or civil service code rules
governing many aspects of each of those processes. Most of our processes
are conducted once every two years but we also run them more frequently as
required. We also have a volunteer citizen Civil Service Board established
by law with the power to overturn any decision made and can require that
any exam results could be invalidated and run again at any time.

I started my career in an I/O consulting firm and am familiar with how to
estimate the cost of exams or even a large but finite process, but I don't
know how to go about estimating something with this many moving, variable,
complex, and difficult to quantify parts.

In addition, I don't know of any consulting firms that would be set up to
handle all of an organization's many needs on an ongoing basis like a
full-time internal staff would.

Any insights?

--
Déonda Scott, Employment, Assessment & Development Manager
Human Resources Division

Follow us!
@citybeautiful <http://goog_2047139281>
facebook.com/cityoforlando <http://goog_2047139281>