[IPAC-List] Good BARS Inter-rater Agreement?

Richard Joines mpscorp at value.net
Fri Jul 15 14:45:34 EDT 2016

Hi Joel,

You indicated that there is no communication between the panels during the
rating process, but you didn't say that each member of a panel first makes
his/her ratings prior to any communication with other panel members.  Are
they allowed to discuss their views, then make their rating?  Or do they
first make their independent ratings which cannot be changed, then have a
discussion and resolution, with each panel member now able to make a final
rating?  You can't assess inter-rater reliability on any such final ratings
that take place after discussion.  Basically, that's an LGD and someone is
likely to have more influence.

Without the restriction to ensure that the ratings are independent (no
discussion), you can't assess the inter-rater reliability of a panel.

However, if there is discussion before ratings, I believe you could consider
each panel as a person and correlate their assigned scores.  Again, I think
you can use the intra-class correlation, with level differences considered
error.  The result will give you the single rater reliability (where a panel
is considered a single rater).  Since your final results will be the sum (or
mean) of the ratings of the two panels, you can use the Spearman-Brown
formula to get the reliability of your sum of two raters (i.e., same as
doubling a test in length).

Now, if you're actually getting independent ratings to start out with, then
it seems to me that you can do an intra-class correlation for 6 raters --
again using level differences as error - then when you get the result
(single rater reliability), you can use the S-B formula to extend it based
on six raters since your final scores are essentially the sum or mean of all
six raters.  I say use all 6 raters because if there's no discussion on
either panel, hence the panel assignment is irrelevant.  You're just
determining the reliability of independent ratings where you have 6 raters.

It occurs to me that you may also want to correlate the actual final
consensus ratings of each panel with the results based on their independent
ratings.  This would tell you whether or not the discussion process
radically changed the independent rating results or whether they were pretty
much in line with them.  If you get an odd result here (correlation less
than .80), you can review the data to see what happened.

Anyhow, Joel, maybe I'm missing something but these are my thoughts.

Good luck,
Richard Joines