[IPAC-List] developing normative data

Winfred Arthur, Jr. w-arthur at tamu.edu
Wed Sep 14 12:05:23 EDT 2016

Gene, probably not the short succinct ans you are looking for but a
couple of things:

1.  you might to also take a look at the Standards, specifically chpt
7.  standard 7.2 is not exactly a definition but provides the gist of
what normative data are:

*Standard 7.2
The population for whom a test is intended and specifications for the
test should be documented. If normative data are provided, the
procedures used to gather the data should be explained; the norming
population should be described in terms of relevant demographic
variables; and the year(s) in which the data were collected should be
reported. *

2.  when i was oo APA's CPTA, we spent several years in an effort to
update the /Guidelines for Test User Qualifications/ (APA, 2001).  here
is the pertinent text on normative data from the revised document.  fyi,
b/c we were unable to get the revised doc through the APA system, if
want a cite, then cite the 2001 version (Turner, S. M., DeMers, S. T.,
Fox, H. R., & Reed, G. M. (2001).  APA's guidelines for test user
qualifications: An executive summary. American Psychologist, 56, 1099-1113.)

*/Reporting, interpreting, and communicating test scores./*
Test scores may be reported to a variety of stakeholders including but
not limited to test takers, parents and guardians, educators, health
care providers, potential or current employers, and even the courts. The
test user should be able to report scores and provide related
information in a manner that is not only accurate but also useful to the
audience and/or consumer. As noted by the Standards, "[t]est scores
ideally are interpreted in the light of the available data, the
psychometric properties of the scores, indicators of effort, and the
effect of moderator variables and demographic characteristics on test
results." (AREA et al., 2014, p. 139).

Norms play an important role in the reporting, interpretation, and
communication of test scores. *_Norms describe the distribution of test
scores in a sample from a particular population._* [emphasis added]  The
selection of normative data is important. For example, normative data or
decision rules may not be accurate in some cases when (a) important
characteristics of the examinee are not represented in the norm group,
(b) administration or scoring procedures do not follow those used in
standardizing the test, (c) characteristics of the test may affect its
utility for the situation (e.g., ceiling and floor effects), (d) the
test contains tasks that are not culturally relevant to the test taker,
or (e) the validity evidence does not support decisions made on the
basis of the test scores.

Test scores can be interpreted using either a norm-referenced or
criterion-referenced approach. When a norm-referenced approach is used,
test users should understand how differences between the test taker and
the particular normative group may affect the interpretation of test
scores. Factors to be considered in choosing norms include the types of
norms, the manner in which they were generated and their relevance for
interpreting test taker scores, and the characteristics of the normative
group. When a criterion-referenced approach is used, test users should
be knowledgeable of how the criterion was developed and the cut scores
established.

hope this is helpful.

- winfred