[IPAC-List] Appealed Items

Klus, Thomas M. Thomas.Klus at fairfaxcounty.gov
Tue Oct 18 08:11:27 EDT 2016

We have a formal item review process for candidate appeals as well, but the final decision on appeals in our jurisdiction is made by either an Assistant Chief (acting for the Fire Chief) or with PD, a Major (acting for the Chief). We had this situation recently  where a distractor that was originally keyed correct seemed correct from a rational perspective, but the review committee found another response was “more correct” based on the published bibliography, so the AC went with your second option. I raised the concern that those who originally selected the first keyed response did not really have an opportunity to present a case in an appeal as they thought that they got the item right. The objection was overruled, and while I can see the merit in selecting “the most correct answer”, I could also see a logical scenario where you would count both answers correct and double key the question.

Thomas Klus
Thomas Klus
Department of Human Resources, Employment Division
Fairfax County Government
703-324-5808