[IPAC-List] Civil Service apart from HR

Lance Seberhagen sebe at erols.com
Thu Dec 1 12:22:00 EST 2016

Hi James:

Iam an alumni of the Dallas Civil Service Dept.  I liked my job but left
to continue my education.  When I worked there in 1967-68, the Civil
Service Dept was responsible for all of the classified (merit system)
positions in the City. Civil Service jobs were filled through rigorous
testing and competitive selection.  Civil Service positions were
carefully analyzed and evaluated for assignment to the proper job
classification and salary grade.  All Civil Service employees had appeal
rights and protections under the City's Civil Service law.

The Personnel Dept (as it was known then) was located across the hall
from the Civil Service Dept and had responsibility for all of the
unclassified positions in the City. I'm not sure how many positions were
unclassified, but it must have been a substantial number.  Many of these
positions were in unskilled, hourly labor jobs, but there could have
been higher-level jobs, too.  The Civil Service Dept didn't have much
contact with the Personnel Dept, but it was my understanding
thatunclassified employees were hired, paid, and employed under less
rigorous procedures than Civil Service employees and served at the
pleasure of the employing department.

The Civil Service Dept and Personnel Dept were both central HR
departments. Iam not aware of any other jurisdiction with a similar set
up.  If Dallas merged today's Civil Service Dept and HR Dept into one
department,there could be real cost savings.  On the other hand, a
combined dept might create pressure to place more positions under the
merit system, which could increase costs and reduce flexibility. Of
course, it could go the other way, too (i.e., more unclassified
positions). In any event, the City of Dallas is currently facing serious
financial difficulty due to its underfunded retirement system and needs
to find cost savings wherever it can.

Lance Seberhagen, Ph.D.

Seberhagen & Associates

9021 Trailridge Court