[IPAC-List] poll on employee performance ratings

Herman Aguinis haguinis at email.gwu.edu
Thu Sep 7 08:41:25 EDT 2017

Natasha,

There are several ways to collect ratings as well as several sources of
performance information (e.g., peers, supervisors, direct-reports,
customers). Each of these data collection systems has pros and cons, and
evidence shows that they need to be evaluated within the context of the
organization and job in question. Also, exclusive attention to ratings and
not sufficient attention to interpersonal issues such as trust,
communication, and ongoing feedback may result is a performance measurement
system that is ineffective—or worse (i.e., lead to decreased motivation and
performance).

The following articles (available at http://hermanaguinis.com/pubs.html)
address these issues (which are also described in more detail in Aguinis,
H. 2013. Performance Management
<https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Management-3rd-Herman-Aguinis/dp/0132556383/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504786894&sr=8-1&keywords=herman+aguinis>,
3rd edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson):

·        Aguinis, H., Gottfredson, R. K., & Joo, H. 2013. Avoiding a “me”
versus “we” dilemma: Using performance management to turn teams into a
source of competitive advantage. Business Horizons, 56: 503-512.

·        Aguinis, H., Joo, H., & Gottfredson, R. K. 2013. What monetary
rewards can and cannot do: How to show employees the money. Business
Horizons, 56: 241-249.

·        Aguinis, H., Gottfredson, R. K., & Joo, H. 2012. Delivering
effective performance feedback: The strengths-based approach. Business
Horizons, 55: 105-111.

·        Aguinis, H., Gottfredson, R. K., & Joo, H. 2012. Using performance
management to win the talent war. Business Horizons, 55: 609-616.

·        Aguinis, H., Joo, H, & Gottfredson, R. K. 2012. Performance
management universals: Think globally and act locally. Business Horizons,
55: 385-392.

·        Aguinis, H., Joo, H., & Gottfredson, R. K. 2011. Why we hate
performance management—and why we should love it. Business Horizons, 54:
503-507.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

--Herman.

*Herman Aguinis, Ph.D.*

Avram Tucker Distinguished Scholar and Professor of Management

George Washington University School of Business

2201 G Street, NW

Washington, DC 20052

*http://hermanaguinis.com/ <http://hermanaguinis.com/> *