[IPAC-List] calculating turnover

Shekerjian, Rene (CS) Rene.Shekerjian at cs.ny.gov
Tue Oct 10 11:27:05 EDT 2017

In general, I like the approach that is simple and allows the number to be greater than 100%. For example, if there are 100 positions and  200 people leave in the course of one year, you would have 200% turnover. Intuitively satisfying and easy to comprehend. If 50 people left, there would be 50% turnover. Both numbers paint a picture that is easy to understand, and depending on the industry, may be shocking or encouraging.

The problem I see when the approach leads to 50/100 yielding turnover of 30% is that it requires mental adjustments. In one sense it is accurate, but it hides the fact that 50% of the total number of people working there have left. They may have each been in a different position or been from a small number of the positions (such as when a manager is unbearable), but the overall effect is easily understood.

Following Mark's line of thought, I think you would want the more sophisticated approach if you were trying to compute the effect on productivity, output, profits, etc. But for a general measure of churn, I think the simple approach is better.

René

René Shekerjian
Director, Testing Services Division

Department of Civil Service
Empire State Plaza, Agency Building 1, Albany, NY 12239

(518) 402-2660 | Rene.Shekerjian at cs.ny.gov

www.cs.ny.gov