[IPAC-List] calculating turnover

Kevin Stanek stane040 at umn.edu
Tue Oct 10 14:07:37 EDT 2017

To reiterate, dividing the number of terminations by the average headcount
does not always give a good indication of the "% of the total number of
people working there who have left", which is what makes it misleading for
many users. Consider the illustrative example below of a recently created
division/company:
Headcount at the End of Each Month (including new hires) Terminations in
Each Month
January 5 0
February 5 0
March 5 0
April 5 0
May 5 0
June 5 0
July 4 1
August 4 0
September 4 0
October 4 0
November 4 0
December 100 10
The total number of terminations in the year is 11 and the average
headcount is 12.5, which leads to a turnover rate of 88% by the typical
calculation, but that doesn't mean that 88% of the total number of people
working there left. It means that 88% of the *average* number of people who
worked in this division left, which is not usually what the
leader/organization actually cares about, in my limited experience.

Kind regards,
Kevin