[IPAC-List] calculating turnover

mhammer at 295.ca mhammer at 295.ca
Tue Oct 10 14:27:27 EDT 2017

Again, a need for further clarification.  I am a bit confused by your use
of the term "termination".  Are you using that term to refer to voluntary
departures only, or does it also include any egress of incumbents, for
example by firing or retirement.

I reiterate, the numerator and denominator that might provide the clearest
and least ambiguous metric could vary with the purpose.  If the intent is
to simply identify what sort of ongoing staffing needs there might be,
then whether the opening occurs because of retirement, firing, or other
voluntary departures, is of minimal concern.  Whatever the source of the
opening, one still needs to fill it, so turnover would be how many
incumbents we had and how many were still in place for the time interval
under consideration.  If the intent is to identify retention issues, then
the denominator should probably consist of all positions MINUS retirements
and terminations.  The gap between how many were in their position at the
start of the time period, and how many were still there at the end of that
interval, gives an indication of the extent to which voluntary departures
pose a challenge.

In other words, the purpose identifies what constitutes a a normative or
non-normative departure, "terminaton", or opening.

Mark Hammer
Ottawa