[IPAC-List] EEOC's shift away from utility - Reasons why?

Richard Joines mpscorp at value.net
Mon Nov 27 23:34:18 EST 2017

Hi Joel,

I worked at OPM from 1972-1980 and what I recall is that our OPM
representatives opposed the EEOC emphasis on criterion-related validity (and
differential validity) and strenuously argued the case for putting content
validity on an equal footing with other recognized forms of validity.  This
eventually came to pass with the issuance of the Uniform Guidelines in 1978,
and empirical validation was no longer deemed better than content validity.
With content validity, there is no estimated validity coefficient, thus no
way of estimating test utility.  I think this has to be the answer to your
question...but I haven't read Guion's 2011 text and I'm just thinking back
to that era and giving you my best guess.

Rich Joines
Mgt & Personnel Systems, Inc.
www.mps-corp.com
925-032-0203