[IPAC-List] Where to recruit black applicants for police officer?

mhammer at 295.ca mhammer at 295.ca
Tue Jun 4 12:48:36 EDT 2019

This might sound dumb, but I'll suggest barber shops and hair salons that
specialize in a primarily African-American clientele.  Whether waiting for
a free chair, or sitting under the scissors/trimmer, it's a place that
folks spend a bit of time - likely more than they might on a website or
banner ad - where folks chat, and where the staff can gather and curate
comments from others.  And, dare I say it, police officers need haircuts
too, and sitting in a chair for 15 minutes, alongside an officer in the
nearby chair, might be an opportunity to provide a prompt to gather more
information from more formal sources.  And a recruitment/information
pamphlet might provide something to read when that 14 year-old copy of
Sports Illustrated has lost its appeal.

The caveat is that such a locale provides a random sampling of that
sub-population, rather than principally those who might do well on the
entrance exam.  But it's a start, and there's a LOT of barber shops and
salons.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that such locales have been used
for years, and I'm simply late to the party.

Mark Hammer
Ottawa