[IPAC-List] IRB consent for selection research

Megan Paul mpaul at unl.edu
Thu Jun 27 17:42:31 EDT 2019

Does anyone have experience with having job applicants provide IRB consent to participate in selection research? We'll likely be looking at a few objective measures (e.g., personality, emotional intelligence), an interview, and possibly a writing assessment. I'm anticipating that the usual IRB language will be expected, but it seems like a bit of a misfit for the circumstances. Results of the objective measures won't be used for decision making until after validation, but the others will be used for hiring decisions. It's possible that we can make a convincing argument that consent is not needed (i.e., that it doesn't constitute research), but if we can't, I'd like some idea of how to best handle it in a way that's acceptable to applicants.

Thanks in advance.

[http://ucomm.unl.edu/images/email-signature/Nebraska_N_RGB_email_small.png]
Megan E Paul
Research Assistant Professor