[IPAC-List] Merit System Principles and hiring competent people

Dennis Doverspike dennisdoverspike at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 10:17:36 EST 2020

Joel,

I have a talk I have given and do give on the history of Merit principles.
To make a long talk short -

1. At the State and Local level, merit principles are usually codified
through statements in the Constitution, Laws, Rules, Codes, or local Civic
Service rules.

2. NY, Massachusetts, and OHio were the three states to first have merit
principles in their code.

3. As for how Merit is operationalized, you need to look at the particular
language of the relevant code. Usually, the code refers to "merit" and
"fitness" with "merit" defined as performance on a competitive examination
and "fitness" left more ambiguous. There may also be statements regarding
the applicants being "qualified" and the listing of "minimums."

 Is that what you were asking?

Dennis

--
Dennis Doverspike, PhD., ABPP
dennisdoverspike at gmail.com
*Principled Progress Through People Science*

*Doverspike Consulting LLC:*

HR Litehouse (DBA)

Chief People Scientist

Mailing:

PO Box 1788

Stow, OH 44224-0788

330-690-3534

Email: dennisdoverspike at gmail.com

*Personal:*

Dennis Doverspike

3171 N. Dover Road

Silver Lake, Ohio 44224

330-690-3534

dennisdoverspike at gmail.com <dennis_doverspike at yahoo.com>

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product
for the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message
in error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the
communication is strictly prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic
transmission, immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system
and notify the sender. E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to
be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.