[Hackrf-dev] Testing my new HackRF One

Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina zerochaos at gentoo.org
Thu Aug 21 22:33:03 EDT 2014

On 08/21/2014 06:43 PM, emmanuel.fuste at laposte.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As Jon B and Larry, I got my HackRF One working under GQRX, GNURadio & gr-osmosdr (Debian Sid and Pentoo) but got only noise and a flat spectra.
> I was very worried that the RF stage is dead (sorry Michael for the hurry ...).
> But as I was not alone, and with the drastic fab validation Michael put in place, the problem is surely not there...
> - Tomorrow, I will try to play a bit more with the gain settings. I was a bit shy and did not push the settings too far.
> - Will test the antenna, perhaps this is the same problem as Jon ?
>
> With my 868Mhz alarm remote fired at 1m50, I see the transmission pulse, but with a very very low signal. An antenna problem is a good track : the signal strength is the same with and without antenna !!

One of the issues I've seen a lot is that people think that any antenna
that screws on is "good enough".  The antenna included with the HackRF
is SMA, while a lot of people have many RP-SMA antennas around already
(commonly used in wifi).  While the screw part will fit, nothing will
actually connect since they are different connectors.  While that may
not be your issue, I've seen a lot of people with it.

The other issue I've seen is people don't seem to screw the antenna down
all the way.  I'm not suggesting you put serious strength into it or
anything, but make sure you actually tighten it down until, you know, it
gets tight.  It seems to screw on just a bit further than some people
realize.

- -Zero