[Hackrf-dev] good/preferred platform?

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Fri Aug 22 20:01:45 EDT 2014

Hiya,

I've been having good success with the HackRF and a current model
Macbook Pro (i7 Quad Core, 16GB)

Three combinations tested thus far;

* Native apps running directly under OS-X (Mavericks)
  ** As one would expect, works fine, but building can be fiddly

* Linux apps running under Pentoo in a VM hosted by VMWare
   Fusion it in turn running under Mavericks
  ** Also seems to work fine

* Linux apps running under Ubuntu 14.05 in a VM hosted by
   VMWare Fusion it in turn running under Mavericks
  ** Still tweaking this - gets some USB under-runs at times.
     Given that Pentoo works, I fully expect Ubuntu to be
     fine once I work out where my setting differ :)

As an alternative, I've found myself wondering if a recent Android
tablet with a beefy multi-core CPU and a USB-OTG cable would be up to
the task...

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Hugh